2024 » How to Uninstall IDM Completely
Whether you're no longer in need of Internet Download Manager (IDM) or your 30-day trial has expired, and you can't purchase it, it's essential to know how to remove it completely from your Windows PC.
In this blog post, I'll walk you through the steps to uninstall IDM effectively. So, if you're looking to free up some space or switch to an IDM alternative download manager, this guide is here to help.
Steps to Uninstall IDM Completely
Uninstalling IDM isn't as straightforward as just clicking "Uninstall" from the Control Panel. You'll need to follow a few additional steps to ensure all remnants are removed from your system.
Uninstall IDM from Control Panel
- Go to your Control Panel (you can search for it in the Windows search bar).
- Click on "Uninstall a program" or "Programs," depending on your Windows version.
- Find "Internet Download Manager" in the list of installed programs.
- Click on it and choose "Uninstall."
- The IDM software will prompt you to select the uninstallation method: Default or Full. Choose the Full option, then click the Next button, and finally, click "Finish >."
- This will initiate the uninstallation process for IDM. Once it's completed, you will receive a message advising you to restart your PC. Click on "Cancel" as there are still some remaining steps to follow.
Delete Remaining Files
- After the uninstallation process is complete, go to your "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folder, depending on your system. or directly open C:\Program Files (x86)
- Locate the "Internet Download Manager" folder and delete it.
Remove Registry Entries
- Type "regedit" in the Windows search bar and open the Registry Editor.
- Backup your registry (File > Export) in case you make a mistake.
- Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software."
- Locate the "Download Manager" folder and delete it.
Restart Your PC
Finally, restart your computer to ensure all changes take effect.
Is it possible to reinstall IDM after uninstalling it?
Yes, you can reinstall IDM at any time by downloading it from the official website.
Will uninstalling IDM affect my downloaded files?
Uninstalling IDM will not affect your downloaded files; they will remain on your computer.
Are there any alternative download managers I can use?
Yes, there are several alternatives like Free Download Manager, EagleGet, or JDownloader.
Do I need to restart my computer after uninstalling IDM?
It's a good practice to restart your computer after uninstalling software to ensure all changes take effect.
Can I use a third-party uninstaller to remove IDM?
Yes, third-party uninstaller tools can also help you remove IDM, but the manual method described above is usually sufficient.
Is it necessary to delete registry entries when uninstalling IDM?
While it's not mandatory, removing registry entries ensures a more thorough uninstallation, preventing any potential conflicts.